Friday, September 4, 2009

A Panda In The Laundry Room

A lot has happened since my last entry, but who cares about all that?

There was a panda in my laundry room earlier today.

Not in the literal sense, of course...I don't live in China where that sort of thing happens everyday.

I don't know why this event made my day so much. I went down and put clothes in the washer, and there was nothing out of the ordinary in the room. When I went back down to move the clothes to the dryer, there was a visitor in the room...

He was just there. Staring up at me. Smiling. I didn't know how to react, but for some reason I felt giggly. So, inevitably my time in the laundry room ended and I went back to my apartment and about my business. End of story, right? No no. When I went to work a few hours later, the Panda had somehow found its way out into the lobby and it was staring out the window into the streets of New York, yearning for the freedom it once had in the wild...

Again, I was absolutely tickled by this. I have no idea why, but something about that Panda gave me hope for a brighter future for mankind. I wanted to make the Panda my own, but since our first encounter had been in the laundry room of my building I suspected it was less than cleanly.

Now, since we're hetero lifemates I sent these pictures to Ryan, who was understandably a bit confused. How could anyone understand my joy at simply seeing a stuffed Panda lounging around our apartment building...but sure enough a few hours later when he got home and I was at work I received the following picture...

That was the view from outside. The panda was still there, staring out into the New York evening...probably thinking of bamboo.

When I got home, the Panda was gone. Part of me knows that someone probably came along and threw him out, but another part of me has hope. Hope that somehow the panda got out, back into the wild...and even now he's slowly meandering through the streets of NYC...looking for that next sweet piece of bamboo. It's a fanciful dream, but I have hope...hope in the eyes of a panda.

1 comment:

  1. your life seems fun and full of cuddly things. am jealous.

    - gloria

    ReplyDelete